List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:February 12 2003 3:31pm
Subject:Re: Is there anything equivalent to Oracle9i's list partitioning?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Feb 12), Jeff Bearer said:
> I've recently learned that Oracle has the ability to partition table
> data, Oracle9i's list partitioning feature.
>
> http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/02-jan/index.html?o12part.html
>
> I'm trying to find out if MySQL or any open source database has
> something equivalent to this.

Mysql has things called MERGE tables, which present multiple little
phyisical tables as one table to the user.  You would have to manually
insert records into the correct table, though, and MySQL's optimizer
currently does very badly on MERGE tables, so they're not really a good
choice yet.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped