List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Grigor Date:February 11 2003 8:34pm
Subject:Re: IP Addresses -- How to Store
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael T. Babcock" <mbabcock@stripped>
To: "Aaron Conaway" <Aaron.Conaway@stripped>
Cc: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 3:25 PM

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 01:15:01PM -0500, Aaron Conaway wrote:
> > I'm looking to develop a database of IP addresses for the company and
> > have, of course, chosen mySQL as the backend.  I want the app to add
> > (remove, etc.) a host, giving its hostname and segment.  The app will
> > add the next available address to the database and, looking at the
> > segment, provide the subnet mask and default gateway for said new host.
> > I've got the db structure written out, but I'm having issues on how to
> > store the data like address, subnet mask, default gateway.
>
> Consider familiarizing yourself with bit-level network masking
> math and then store your IP addresses as 16 bit long integer
> values (until you're storing ipv6 addresses, of course).  Store
> your network mask as either the 16 bit value of the mask or if
> you care about space, a tinyint of how many bits are in the mask.

Dood, he's not gonna be very happy storing an IP as 16 bits :)
Peter Grigor
Hoobly Classified Ads
http://www.hoobly.com

Thread
IP Addresses -- How to StoreAaron Conaway11 Feb
  • Re: IP Addresses -- How to StoreDan Nelson11 Feb
    • Re: IP Addresses -- How to StorePeter Hicks11 Feb
  • Re: IP Addresses -- How to StoreMichael T. Babcock11 Feb
  • Re: IP Addresses -- How to StorePeter Grigor11 Feb
    • Re: IP Addresses -- How to StoreMichael T. Babcock11 Feb
RE: IP Addresses -- How to StoreAaron Conaway11 Feb