List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:September 15 1999 7:38pm
Subject:Re: setup question
View as plain text
At 14:22, 19990915, Apoc wrote:
>I have one instance of safe_mysqld running as root, and I have 3
>instances of mysqld also running as root.  So I should chown the
>/var/lib/mysql directory to be owned by user mysql ?

Hmmm...sounds like your mysqld_user=mysql (whatever it is) in the
startup script isn't getting used after all.  Can you trace through
all of the startup action and make sure that all of that gets passed
for real to mysqld?  Are you sure that the script you're examining
is the one that's getting started when you boot your machine?  Mebby
there's another script (from an old installation, or in a place you
don't expect) that's getting used, which doesn't set the mysqld user
name.

If mysqld were being started with the --mysql-user=mysql flag, but
you didn't have your datadir owned by 'mysql', you'd get errors.  If
it worked anyway, then there wouldn't be much sense in using that
flag, eh?

Tim
Thread
setup questionApoc15 Sep