List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:boclair Date:February 7 2003 1:37am
Subject:Re: Using SET in the INSERT statement
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul DuBois <paul@stripped>
To: boclair <boclair@stripped>; <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 8:47 AM

: At 14:19 +1000 2/5/03, boclair wrote:
: >I notice some of my colleagues using SET in INSERT statements.
: >
: >DuBois makes a short reference on  p565, DoorStop1.
:
: The reference is short because there isn't much to say about it. :-)
: The SET clause consists of col_name=value assignments, separated
: by comma if there is more than one assignment.  That's all.
:
: Other examples are on pp 40-41 (Doorstop I) or p48 (Doorstop II).
:
I know this is so basic that I should understand, but in that case (p40)
 INSERT INTO member SET last_name='Stein' ,first_name='Waldo';
why not use that form always instead of (also p40)
INSERT INTO member (last_name,first_name) VALUES('Stein' , 'Waldo');

On the surface it seems a simpler syntax and is similar, in this
respect, to the syntax for UPDATE.

I see that http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/INSERT.html provides that SET is
an alternative to the VALUES syntax but the explanation that follows,
apart from being a model of simplicity, only mentions the use of SET in
relation to unique columns.

BTW, many thanks for your excellent book.  Invaluable (and it opens
flat)

Louise

Thread
Using SET in the INSERT statementboclair5 Feb
  • Re: Using SET in the INSERT statementKeith C. Ivey5 Feb
    • Re: Using SET in the INSERT statementboclair7 Feb
  • RE: Using SET in the INSERT statementJennifer Goodie5 Feb
    • Re: Using SET in the INSERT statementboclair7 Feb
  • Re: Using SET in the INSERT statementPaul DuBois6 Feb
  • Re: Using SET in the INSERT statementboclair7 Feb
    • Re: Using SET in the INSERT statementPaul DuBois8 Feb
  • request for unsubscribe ingoredAlex Shi10 Feb
  • Re: request for unsubscribe ingoredVan11 Feb