List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 5 2003 6:17pm
Subject:Re: Is it my English or does this sound bad?
View as plain text
At 15:58 +1300 2/5/03, Defryn, Guy wrote:
>I was just reading through the Mysql manual section 3.32
>And came across a sentence that started like this
>
>Animal sex can be represented in a variety of ways
>
>My mother tongue is not English but doesn't it sound rude ? :-)

Yes, it does, and current versions of the manual are worded differently:

Several types of values can be chosen to represent sex in animal records ...

>mysql> CREATE TABLE pet (name VARCHAR(20), owner VARCHAR(20),
>     -> species VARCHAR(20), sex CHAR(1), birth DATE, death DATE);
>
>VARCHAR is a good choice for the name, owner, and species columns
>because the column values will vary in length. The lengths of those
>columns need not all be the same, and need not be 20. You can pick any
>length from 1 to 255, whatever seems most reasonable to you. (If you
>make a poor choice and it turns out later that you need a longer field,
>MySQL provides an ALTER TABLE statement.)
>
>Animal sex can be represented in a variety of ways, for example, "m" and
>"f", or perhaps "male" and "female". It's simplest to use the single
>characters "m" and "f".
>
>Query/mysql

Thread
Is it my English or does this sound bad?Guy Defryn5 Feb
  • Re: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Jeremy Zawodny5 Feb
  • Re: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Paul DuBois5 Feb
    • RE: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Richard E. Perlotto II6 Feb
  • Re: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Doug Thompson5 Feb
  • Re: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Kevin Smith5 Feb
    • RE: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Joseph Jude6 Feb
  • Re: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Zak Greant5 Feb
    • Re: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Michael T. Babcock6 Feb
  • Re: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Lenz Grimmer6 Feb
  • Re: Is it my English or does this sound bad?David T-G7 Feb
RE: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Peter Grigor6 Feb
RE: Is it my English or does this sound bad?Andrew Braithwaite8 Feb
  • Re: [OT] Gender, Sex, political correctness (and age?)Michael T. Babcock9 Feb