List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jonathan Disher Date:January 30 2003 4:28pm
Subject:Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/Linuxthreads
View as plain text
> -O3 on a production server? Mmmm... not good. gcc 2.95 is sometimes buggy, I
> suggest to use -O alone.

> gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Configured with: FreeBSD/i386 system compiler
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.1 [FreeBSD] 20021119 (release)

> I don't see any reason to use LinuxThreads. What kind of advantages they
> have? I neved had performance problems on heavy-used databases (7 mil
> records, 50 tps) on FreeBSD 4.6.

Because with native threads, enabling the second CPU (and thus locking
MySQL to one thread, one process, -period-, because running another on
another port isnt viable) makes the job take just over twice as long.

I know jobs and such have to be optimized to use multiple connections.  My
problem is, enabling that second cpu has more than -halved- my DB
performance, and on this server (which houses our CRM and accounting data)
that's -unacceptable-.  Even if I could justify it with "Well, the second
CPU is handling lots of other stuff", I still can't ignore that MySQL is
still taking twice as long to do things.  And I know, it's a FreeBSD
problem.  I'm waiting for the work done in 5.0 to be evaluated and see if
it really does make MySQL work better with native threads.

If not, this project can't wait.  I'll probably have to coerce the boss
into building a separate db server from the others (which wouldn't be so
bad) on Linux or Solaris.

-j

Thread
Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJesse Sheidlower28 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJeremy Zawodny28 Jan
    • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJesse Sheidlower28 Jan
      • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher29 Jan
      • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJeremy Zawodny29 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson28 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher29 Jan
    • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson29 Jan
    • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsGianluca Sordiglioni29 Jan
      • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher30 Jan
        • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsGianluca Sordiglioni30 Jan
          • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher30 Jan
            • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsMaximo Migliari31 Jan
              • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson31 Jan
                • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsMaximo Migliari31 Jan
Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsMaximo Migliari31 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson31 Jan
Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsEric Frazier2 Feb