List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Maximo Migliari Date:January 30 2003 4:19pm
Subject:Character problems
View as plain text
Platform: windows
MySQL version: 4.0.9-gamma
PHP version: 4.3.0

Connected through Command Prompt via MySQL client to local MySQL server.

Output from a SELECT query:

mysql> select * from category;
+----+--------+-------------------+--------------+-------------+--------+
| id | parent | name              | num_elements | description | type   |
+----+--------+-------------------+--------------+-------------+--------+
|  1 |      0 | materias          |            0 |           1 | artigo |
|  2 |      0 | artigos           |            0 |           2 | artigo |
|  3 |      1 | Tipos de câncer   |            0 |           3 | artigo |
|  4 |      1 | Crianças carentes |            0 |           4 | artigo |
|  5 |      3 | Leucemia          |            0 |           5 | artigo |
|  6 |      3 | Câncer de pele    |            0 |           6 | artigo |
|  7 |      3 | Notícias          |            0 |           7 | ultima |
+----+--------+-------------------+--------------+-------------+--------+
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> exit
Bye

Note that for the name field,  the characters ç, í, â, are all
appearing
correctly.

Now when I select this information from PHP and print it as a webpage, this
is what I get:
ƒ  instead of â,
¡  instead of í
‡ instead of ç

What's up?  I used to do this before without any problems.  I'm assuming
this is some character encoding issue - however, I don't know if its in PHP
or in MySQL the problem.

Help!
Maximo.

Thread
Character problemsMaximo Migliari30 Jan
  • Re: Character problemsDan Nelson31 Jan
  • Re: Character problemsKen Menzel31 Jan