List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:January 29 2003 8:05am
Subject:Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/Linuxthreads
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jan 28), Jonathan Disher said:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> > I've been trying to install MySQL 4.0.9 on FreeBSD 4.7, and have
> > been getting stuck in the configure phase. I'd be grateful for any
> > suggestions.
> >
> > I'm running FreeBSD 4.7 on a single-processor 1.4GHz PIII, using
> > gcc 2.95.4, and trying to compile with Linuxthreads. I've been
> > using the instructions Jeremy Zawodny posted in his blog at
> > http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000458.html .

I actually have a mysql4-server and mysql4-client port that I've been
using on both 4.* and 5.*.  I'm just waiting for the maintainer to repy
to my emails and get it committed.

> FYI, that successfully built 3.23.54 -AND- 4.0.9 with linuxthreads on
> FreeBSD 5-RELEASE.  I'm still testing, however, as I'm not overly
> impressed with the performance increase (MySQL 3.23.54 on a single
> Athlon MP2200+ performs a job of ours faster than a dual Athlon
> MP2200+ (same hardware, SMP vs NonSMP kernel)).  I dunno.

If you are only driving the server with a single client connection, or
if your queries are CPU-bound, LinuxThreads isn't going to buy you
anything.  You need multiple clients and lots of simultaneous reads to
see a difference.

Also make sure you've turned off all the debugging options that 5.0's
GENERIC kernel has compiled in.  Most important is to disable WITNESS.
That probably slows down SMP kernels more than UP.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJesse Sheidlower28 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJeremy Zawodny28 Jan
    • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJesse Sheidlower28 Jan
      • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher29 Jan
      • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJeremy Zawodny29 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson28 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher29 Jan
    • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson29 Jan
    • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsGianluca Sordiglioni29 Jan
      • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher30 Jan
        • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsGianluca Sordiglioni30 Jan
          • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher30 Jan
            • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsMaximo Migliari31 Jan
              • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson31 Jan
                • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsMaximo Migliari31 Jan
Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsMaximo Migliari31 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson31 Jan
Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsEric Frazier2 Feb