List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Kasak Date:January 28 2003 10:24pm
Subject:Re: Access XP crashes regularly when linked to MySQL via MyODBC
View as plain text
M Wells wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>My MySQL Server is 3.23.53-max-nt. I'm linking to it via MyODBC
>3.51.05.00 and accessing its tables via Access XP linked tables.
>
>For some reason, Access XP crashes regularly in this setup. No
>meaningful error messages, just crashes and reloads after a repair. Even
>more odd (and I only have subjective observation to back this up), it
>appears to only crash when left unattended for a period of time.
>Although, maybe I have that impression because when left alone for a
>period of time equates to running long enough to have encountered a
>problem?
>
>Is this a known problem with MySQL 3.23.53-max-nt / MyODBC 3.51.05.00 /
>Access XP?

Yeah I can confirm this problem.
We use MySQL-4.0.x and MyODBC-3.51.x - whatever's the latest.
I have had a few discussions in the MyODBC mailing list about it.
It seems to be a problem with Access XP.
I also noticed that it seems to happen when Access is left inactive for
5 minutes or more.
This lead me to believe that MySQL is closing the client connection
after a period of time and Access isn't handling it very gracefully.
However the period of time isn't fixed, and sometimes it can stay open
for an hour without crashing. I don't know what's up, but I'm sure it's
Access' fault. The crash I get is one of those hardcore "Microsoft
appologises for the inconvenience. Would you like to send a bug report.
Yes / No" ones. They know they are to blame...

I've called M$ tech support about it, and they only want to hear about
it after I give them $AUS290. Since it's not really a show-stopper for
us - just bloody annoying - I've left it at that. They (M$) say they
will refund the $290 if they find that the problem is actually a bug in
their software. But I don't really trust them on that. I'd rather give
the money to TheKompany for a product like
http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/ which is like Access only I
assume it doesn't crash so much, and it uses Python instead of visual
basic. It's not particularly advanced yet, but as I said, I'd rather
give money to them to improve their product than give it to M$ so they
can rehash the same trash (and add a few bugs while they're at it) every
18 months.

One dodgy workaround I've considered is to have a hidden form in Access
that opens when the database opens. Put a timer event on it to run the
OnTimer() code every 5 minutes or so. And the code just refreshes the
form which is linked to a dummy table in MySQL. I haven't tried this
myself but I have a feeling it will work.

Tell me how you get on anyway. It you need an Australian to back up your
crash reports I'm more than willing to add my name to the complaints
list yet again ;-)

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer

Thread
Access XP crashes regularly when linked to MySQL via MyODBCM Wells28 Jan
  • Re: Access XP crashes regularly when linked to MySQL via MyODBCDaniel Kasak28 Jan
  • RE: Access XP crashes regularly when linked to MySQL via MyODBCLoren McDonald29 Jan
    • Re: Access XP crashes regularly when linked to MySQL via MyODBCDaniel Kasak30 Jan
RE: Access XP crashes regularly when linked to MySQL via MyODBCVictor Pendleton28 Jan