List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jesse Sheidlower Date:January 28 2003 5:21pm
Subject:Configure prob with FreeBSD/Linuxthreads
View as plain text
I've been trying to install MySQL 4.0.9 on FreeBSD 4.7, and
have been getting stuck in the configure phase. I'd be
grateful for any suggestions.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.7 on a single-processor 1.4GHz PIII,
using gcc 2.95.4, and trying to compile with
Linuxthreads. I've been using the instructions Jeremy Zawodny
posted in his blog at
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000458.html .

I modified Jeremy's command to eliminate some of the obvious
things I didn't need, and started with:

CFLAGS='-O -pipe -march=pentiumpro -D__USE_UNIX98                \
-D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -DHAVE_BROKEN_REALPATH               \
-I/usr/local/include/pthread/linuxthreads' CXX=cc                \
CC=cc CXXFLAGS='-O -pipe -march=pentiumpro                       \
-D__USE_UNIX98 -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE                       \
-DHAVE_BROKEN_REALPATH -I/usr/local/include/pthread/linuxthreads \
-felide-constructors -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions' ./configure      \
--with-mit-threads=no                  \
--enable-assembler                       \
'--with-named-thread-libs=-DHAVE_GLIBC2_STYLE_GETHOSTBYNAME_R    \
-D_THREAD_SAFE -DHAVE_BROKEN_REALPATH                            \
-I/usr/local/include/pthread/linuxthreads -L/usr/local/lib       \
-llthread -llgcc_r' --enable-thread-safe-client \
--with-libwrap --with-raid

This dies relatively early with:

checking for C compiler default output... configure: error:
C compiler cannot create executables

I've tried re-configuring with every possible variant, and it seems
that the problem happens when CFLAGS has both the linuxthreads
flag and the D_THREAD_SAFE flag. If the latter is omitted,
configuration will proceed past this point.

Since I don't know much about the whole compilation process, I'd
be grateful for any suggestions as to what to try to get this to
work properly.

Also, once past this, if I omit all the flags on ./configure, it
finishes configuration properly; if I include them, it will die
later on with:

checking size of char... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (char), 77

I haven't experimented to see which configure flag might be causing
this, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower
Thread
Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJesse Sheidlower28 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJeremy Zawodny28 Jan
    • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJesse Sheidlower28 Jan
      • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher29 Jan
      • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJeremy Zawodny29 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson28 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher29 Jan
    • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson29 Jan
    • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsGianluca Sordiglioni29 Jan
      • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher30 Jan
        • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsGianluca Sordiglioni30 Jan
          • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsJonathan Disher30 Jan
            • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsMaximo Migliari31 Jan
              • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson31 Jan
                • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsMaximo Migliari31 Jan
Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsMaximo Migliari31 Jan
  • Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsDan Nelson31 Jan
Re: Configure prob with FreeBSD/LinuxthreadsEric Frazier2 Feb