List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Benjamin Pflugmann Date:January 28 2003 7:13am
Subject:Re: smallest dumpfiles in Windows in one step?
View as plain text
On Mon 2003-01-27 at 21:45:54 -0500, davidtg-mysql@stripped wrote:
> Stefan --
>
> ...and then Stefan Hinz, iConnect (Berlin) said...
> %
> % backing up my MySQL databases on a Win2K box at home to a Linux box in
> % hand, I have only 128 MBit upstream from my Win machine, and maybe you
> % will have a faster network connection. I use:
> %
> % c:\mysql\bin> mysqldump --all-databases --add-drop-table > mysql -h
> % myoffice -u username -p

">" is wrong, of course, because it will try to direct the output into
a file named "mysql". "|" is what is used to pipe between programs.

> % This will take some time, and it's most probably not the smartest thing
> % one could do, but it works nicely.
>
> Ouch!  You're mostly, or perhaps even only, dealing with simple text, so
> why not take a moment to compress it before you send it over your tiny
> drinking straw of a 'net pipeline...
>
>   mysqldump ... | gzip -9 | ssh myoffice gunzip | mysql -u username -p pass

That wouldn't work, would it? I am quite sure the pipes are all
interpreted by your local shell, so that would effectively mean to
send the data via ssh to the remote machine for unzipping and then
processing the output that got sent back via a local mysql. ;)

> Surely you have the cygwin toolkit and ssh for Win, right?

And you could use build-in compression of ssh. So presuming a working
ssh on the Microsoft Windows machine, something like this hopefully works:

mysqldump ... | ssh -C myoffice mysql -u username -p pass

> % HTH,
>
> Ditto :-)

... :-)

    Benjamin.