List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:matthew mcglynn Date:April 2 1999 5:29am
Subject:powers of two in my.cnf ?
View as plain text
This is probably a really dumb question...

Every example of buffer settings I've seen
has used powers of two. For example, from the
sample configuration file:
set-variable    = key_buffer=16M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = thread_stack=128K
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M
set-variable    = keybuffer=16M

Similarly, the default table_cache is 64, and when
people ask on this list about running out of file
descriptors, the response is usually "set table_cache
to 32".

My dumb question is: do these have to all be powers of two ?!

If for my application, a table_cache of 128 is insufficient,
can I bump it to 150 or do I need to go all the way to 256 ?

--
matt.

Thread
powers of two in my.cnf ?matthew mcglynn2 Apr
  • powers of two in my.cnf ?Michael Widenius2 Apr
  • Re: powers of two in my.cnf ?Sasha Pachev2 Apr
Re: powers of two in my.cnf ?jkraai2 Apr