List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bill Koob Date:September 14 1999 10:37pm
Subject:DATADIR confusion.
View as plain text
The manual says,
"DATADIR is the MySQL data directory (typically `/usr/local/mysql/data' for
a binary installation, or
`/usr/local/var' for a source installation). Note that this is the
directory that was specified at
configuration time, not the one specified with --datadir when mysqld starts
up! (--datadir has no
effect on where the server looks for option files, because it looks for
them before it processes
any command-line arguments.)"

Question:
does this mean that you cannot effect where the data is kept and must
use symbolic links?  What is the documentation really trying to say?

Another part of the manual says,
"You can also add options or mysql.server in a global `/etc/my.cnf' file.
A typical `/etc/my.cnf' file might look like this:

[mysqld]
datadir=/usr/local/mysql/var
socket=/tmp/mysqld.sock
port=3306

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/usr/local/mysql"

Question:
This seems to say I can put my data in a directory /mydata/databasename
and it should work - even on a different mounted disk volumne?

Thread
DATADIR confusion.Bill Koob15 Sep
  • Re: DATADIR confusion.Benjamin Pflugmann15 Sep