List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:September 14 1999 7:17pm
Subject:Re: Question about storing a database on a device
View as plain text
Ted Pavlic wrote:

> I was wondering, with MySQL, would it be feasible to store a database on a
> raw device?
>
> For example, the index and form could be normal files on the main
> filesystem. The actual database could be symlinked to a device, or even
> could be created with the major and minor numbers of the device in question.
> (/dev/sda1, for example) Could then data be read/written from/to that
> device?
>
> This would get around the 2 GB file size limit on most 32-bit file systems.
>
> Any input? I haven't given this a shot just yet... But I may be going about
> this the wrong way. Is it possible to store a database on a raw device? How
> do you do it?
>
> All the best --
> Ted

Hi Ted

This isn't working with mysql, because its operation relies on the filesystem.

To go bejond the 2/4 GByte file size limit use another OS.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Question about storing a database on a deviceTed Pavlic14 Sep
  • Re: Question about storing a database on a deviceMartin Ramsch14 Sep
  • Re: Question about storing a database on a deviceChristian Mack14 Sep