List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 1 1999 10:44pm
Subject:Copying live files
View as plain text
>>>>> "Brandon" == Brandon Pulsipher <Brandon@stripped>
> writes:

Brandon> What are the implications of copying *.ISM,*.ISD,*.frm files while MySQL is
Brandon> still running?  Basically, I am proposing that I could copy these files
Brandon> while MySQL is running, for a descent backup.  Before I restore, I would
Brandon> obviously have to isamchk everything.

Brandon> Taking the database down is a big loss, however, so I am wondering about
Brandon> this option.  I know it's not the cleanest, but would it work?  The files
Brandon> would be messed up if copied while an insert/update was taking place, but
Brandon> again , teh isamchk *should* correct that, just with a little data loss.

Brandon> Are there any other GOOD options for backing up a database server with lots
Brandon> of databases and lots of table sin each database, without stopping the
Brandon> database?

Brandon> Thanks.

Hi!

Yes;  under the context you describe, copying the data files should
only give you real minor data loss (if there was concurrent table
changes) if you want to restore them later.

Note that you don't even have to copy the .ISM files in this case !

I would however recommend you to do 'mysqladmin flush-tables' before
you start your backup;  This should your backup a little bit safer...

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Basic Data Import QueryJon Halton1 Apr
  • Re: Basic Data Import QueryDrew M Hahn1 Apr
    • RE: Basic Data Import QueryHalton Internet1 Apr
      • Copying live filesBrandon Pulsipher1 Apr
        • Copying live filesMichael Widenius2 Apr
      • RE: Basic Data Import QueryPaul DuBois2 Apr
      • RE: Basic Data Import QueryMichael Widenius2 Apr
Re: Copying live filesjkraai2 Apr
RE: Copying live filesBrandon Pulsipher2 Apr