List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 22 2003 3:36am
Subject:Re: Rank Amateur Back for More
View as plain text
At 21:42 -0500 1/21/03, Stephen Tiano wrote:
>Okay, I found User Comments at the end of the section of the user
>manual online that contained the info I needed to get the option of
>
>The startup line I use for that is:
>
>    /usr/local/bin/mysql -u root --local-infile -p menagerie
>
>where 'menagerie' is the database that has the table into which I
>want to load data.
>
>Observation: I guess there's no way to just give myself a 'free
>pass' to be able to load data into any database. It appears I have
>to name a particular database right at the start.

Well, sure.  If you don't name a database at some point, where would
you expect the data to be loaded?  The server won't just pick a database
for you -- that wouldn't be a good policy. :-)

>Anyway ... Then, of course, I do a
>
>    USE menagerie

Unnecessary if you've named menagerie on the command line (which it looks
like you did).

>Now I want toL in the textfile called pet.txt, which I downloaded
>from the MySQL website at
>http:.//www.mysql.com/Downloads/Contrib/Examples/menagerie.zip, into
>the table pet which now resides in my Sites folder. So I issue the
>command
>
>    LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE "pet.txt" INTO TABLE pet;
>
>and, for the first time, I am not denied LOADing DATA privileges. I
>do, however, get to read:
>
>    ERROR:
>    File 'pet.txt' not found (Errcode:2)
>
>What's up with that? I checked the folder 'menagerie' in the Sites
>folder. pet.txt is most definitely there, and it contains comma
>delimited rows to go with the tutorial table I'm working at.

You must name the path to the file as it would be found beginning from
your current directory.  If you're in the Sites/menagerie directory, then
the statement should work as you've shown it.  If not, name the path to the
file.  For example, if you're in the parent directory of the Sites directory,
the statement would be

LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'Sites/menagerie/pet.txt' INTO TABLE pet;

>But it'd sure help top know what's going on now with trying to load
>data from a textfile.
>
>Steve Tiano

Thread
Rank Amateur Back for MoreStephen Tiano22 Jan
  • Re: Rank Amateur Back for MorePaul DuBois22 Jan
  • Re: Rank Amateur Back for MoreMichael T. Babcock22 Jan
Re: Rank Amateur Back for MoreStephen Tiano22 Jan
  • Re: Rank Amateur Back for MorePaul DuBois22 Jan