List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 21 2003 6:28pm
Subject:Re: Whats between a varchar text ??
View as plain text
At 17:27 +0000 1/21/03, Craig melia wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am building my 1st app in php with Mysql and I hope you can help.
>
>I want to have users give a description in a form and varchar(255) wont give
>me enough space so I thought I would use text(650) but it seems the 'text'
>type wont take the limit of (650), it simply offers the user (65535): way
>too much.

Why does this matter?  MySQL doesn't store 65535 characters per value,
just the characters that are actually in your string.  The column uses
only as much space as is necessary.

You can easily enforce a limit of 650 characters in your application.

>Is there anything I can do to set a column type to recieve just 650
>characters of text, or something similar?
>
>Craig

Thread
Whats between a varchar text ??Craig melia21 Jan
  • RE: Whats between a varchar text ??Chris Faust21 Jan
  • Re: Whats between a varchar text ??Paul DuBois21 Jan
  • Re: Whats between a varchar text ??Keith C. Ivey21 Jan
  • Re: Whats between a varchar text ??iConnect \(Berlin\) Stefan Hinz21 Jan