List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brent Baisley Date:January 21 2003 3:41pm
Subject:Re: HELP !! -- mySQL on TCP/IP on Mac OS X
View as plain text
Read up on the GRANT command in MySQL. This sets up the security level
for the tables, hosts and even columns. MySQL defaults to only allowing
the localhost to connect ot the database, which is fine if you are
running the webserver and something like PHP on that computer. Once you
separate them, you need to GRANT the other machine access to MySQL.
For example:
GRANT ALL ON db_name.* TO ""@192.168.1.%
Will grant all privileges on database db_name to every user on the
192.168.1 network. You wouldn't want to actually grant that much access
(i.e. dropping tables) to all users, but it's an example.

This is a very important part of MySQL database security that you should
become familiar with. This has nothing to do with what platform you are
running MySQL on (I'm on a Mac too). There are a number of good books
that cover this well. I use MySQL by Paul DuBois (who you see on this
list occasionally).