List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Edberg Date:January 20 2003 9:51am
Subject:Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?
View as plain text
This page (Section 5.2.9: Speed of INSERT Queries) might be of interest:

	http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Insert_speed.html

You might also want to investigate the INSERT IGNORE command (IGNORE
means ignore all inserts with duplicate unique keys), for example:

	INSERT IGNORE
	INTO your_table
	(col1,col2,col3)
	VALUES
	(vala1,vala2,vala3),
	(valb1,valb2,valb3),
	(valc1,valc2,valc3)

See
	http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/INSERT.html

for more info.

	-steve

At 9:15 AM +0200 1/20/03, Zysman, Roiy wrote:
>Hi All,
>I'm trying to insert multiple lines to a table with 3 col. All 3 of them
>are a part of the primary key.
>But while inserting the data , sometime occurs the situation where I
>want to insert an already exist entry with the same keys. And mysql
>barfs out that this key already exist in the table.
>The solution to it would be probably to query for each entry that I'm
>about to insert if that entry exists , but it looks like it would be an
>enormous overhead. I'm asking this question on a _performance_ context .
>What is the best way , ignore the error messages mysql barfs out or
>query each entry for existences before inserting it ?
>
>Roiy

| Steve Edberg                                      sbedberg@stripped |
| University of California, Davis                          (530)754-9127 |
| Programming/Database/SysAdmin               http://pgfsun.ucdavis.edu/ |
| SETI@Home: 1001 Work units on 23 oct 2002                              |
| 3.152 years CPU time, 3.142 years SETI user... and STILL no aliens...  |
What is the best known practice for insertion...?Roiy Zysman20 Jan
  • RE: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Daevid Vincent20 Jan
    • Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Sean Burlington20 Jan
      • Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Paul DuBois20 Jan
  • Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Tonu Samuel20 Jan
  • Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Sasha Pachev20 Jan
RE: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Roiy Zysman20 Jan
Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Steve Edberg20 Jan