List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Roiy Zysman Date:January 20 2003 7:15am
Subject:What is the best known practice for insertion...?
View as plain text
Hi All,
I'm trying to insert multiple lines to a table with 3 col. All 3 of them
are a part of the primary key.
But while inserting the data , sometime occurs the situation where I
want to insert an already exist entry with the same keys. And mysql
barfs out that this key already exist in the table.
The solution to it would be probably to query for each entry that I'm
about to insert if that entry exists , but it looks like it would be an
enormous overhead. I'm asking this question on a _performance_ context .
What is the best way , ignore the error messages mysql barfs out or
query each entry for existences before inserting it ?

Roiy
Thread
What is the best known practice for insertion...?Roiy Zysman20 Jan
  • RE: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Daevid Vincent20 Jan
    • Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Sean Burlington20 Jan
      • Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Paul DuBois20 Jan
  • Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Tonu Samuel20 Jan
  • Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Sasha Pachev20 Jan
RE: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Roiy Zysman20 Jan
Re: What is the best known practice for insertion...?Steve Edberg20 Jan