List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 14 1999 12:43pm
Subject:Re: A Recursive Subquery is...
View as plain text
>>>>> "Thimble" == Thimble Smith <tim@stripped> writes:

Thimble> At 15:18, 19990909, felix k sheng wrote:
>> Select id, name, LEVEL
>> from Tree
>> START WITH pid=0 CONNECT BY pid=id
>>
>> And that will walk down arbitrary levels of relation and return it
>> to you in some nice ordered fashion (note that LEVEL is a pseudocolumn
>> that is automatically set to the depth of the current row).

Thimble> Yes, I see how that is very useful.  I suppose other vendors have their
Thimble> own extensions for handling trees/graphs inside relational tables.  I
Thimble> suppose this could be done with a PROCEDURE in MySQL, but it'd be a bit
Thimble> backwards (MySQL procedures work with the result set, they don't produce
Thimble> the result set).  It'd be better to work it into the language directly.

Hi!

The default behaveour of a MySQL procedure is to work with a result set
(by the means of hooks) but one can do almost anything withing one
(but something like this would require a lot of code (at least +500
lines)

At any rate, select trees are on the todo (but not that high yet).

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Re: A Recursive Subquery is...E-mail)9 Sep
  • Re: A Recursive Subquery is...Thimble Smith9 Sep
    • Re: A Recursive Subquery is...felix k sheng9 Sep
      • Re: A Recursive Subquery is...Thimble Smith10 Sep
        • Re: A Recursive Subquery is...Michael Widenius14 Sep
          • Site ????Jagadish R.R.( ASI 99)14 Sep
            • Re: Site ????Bill Gerrard14 Sep
            • Re: Site ????Christian Mack14 Sep