List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Maximo Migliari Date:January 15 2003 8:26pm
Subject:Re: To BLOB or not to BLOB
View as plain text
It depends on what kind of comparing you will be doing.  Text is
case-Insensitive for comparisons, blob is case-Sensitive.
Generally I find that for pure text, TEXT type is better.  For files and
texts that need to be compared case-sensitively, use BLOB.

Either way, for images, and any other binary content, you HAVE to store as
a blob.  I wouldn't do it though.  I would have a varchar field that stores
the location and name of the file, and have the file be stored in the

At 12:17 15/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Is it wise to always assume that a file content is always binary and hence
>store it
>in a MySQL BLOB type, even if the file may be only a text file?  Your
>thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>Before posting, please check:
>   (the manual)
>           (the list archive)
>To request this thread, e-mail <mysql-thread130055@stripped>
>To unsubscribe, e-mail
>Trouble unsubscribing? Try:

To BLOB or not to BLOBHaisam K. Ido15 Jan
  • Re: To BLOB or not to BLOBMaximo Migliari15 Jan