List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 14 2003 4:47pm
Subject:Re: doc storage as BLOB and its search engine on MYSQL
View as plain text
At 16:00 +0530 1/14/03, Vikash K Agarwal wrote:
>Hi
>
>We want to create a knowledge base using PHP-MYSQL and if required other
>tools like specialized search engine. The knowledge base may consists
>for normal text content, HTML content, PDF files, DOC files etc. The
>preferred OS is RH Linux 7.3.
>
>My queries are:
>
>1. Should we store these files as blobs in MYSQL or in the file system
>and then store only the name in the database.  Please consider the
>archival issue in both
>
>2. In either of the cases above how can I search thru non-text
>documents. Is there ne specialized search engine for that over and above
>full-text of MYSQL

Just a small point: If you want to use full-text searching, you'll need
to use a TEXT type rather than a BLOB type.  You cannot create a FULLTEXT
index on BLOB columns.

>3. I have found a limit of 16MB for blob storage in mysql 3.2x. Is that
>correct and therefore shud we start development assuming a time for 4.x
>to be available in stable-production form.
>
>Also I m new to mailing lists so let me know if I m not in conformance
>of ne rules, wud gladly correct myself.
>
>Thx
>Vikash K Agarwal

sql, query
Thread
doc storage as BLOB and its search engine on MYSQLVikash K Agarwal14 Jan
  • Re: doc storage as BLOB and its search engine on MYSQLPaul DuBois14 Jan
    • RE: doc storage as BLOB and its search engine on MYSQLVikash K Agarwal14 Jan