List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 7 2003 6:35pm
Subject:RE: Query mysql on another server
View as plain text
At 12:28 -0600 1/7/03, Christensen, Dave wrote:
>You can use the command line mysql with the "host" option, i.e.
>--host=<hostname>, to connect to another machine.  Likewise, you could set
>up a data source using ODBC to look at the database on the second host
>machine through which you could generate queries against the tables on the
>other host's database tables.

If I understood the initial question correctly, your first suggestion is not
what he wants.  I think he's talking about accessing two servers from the same
connection, which is not possible:

Throughout this chapter, I've been making the implicit assumption that
all the tables involved in a multiple-table operation are managed by a
single MySQL server. If this assumption is invalid, the tables become more
difficult to work with. A connection to a MySQL server is specific to that
server. You can't write a SQL statement that refers to tables hosted by
another server. (I've seen claims that this can be done, but they always
turn out to have been made by people who haven't actually tried it.)

-- MySQL Cookbook, p671

Thread
Query mysql on another serverChris Boget7 Jan
  • Re: Query mysql on another serverPaul DuBois7 Jan
    • RE: Query mysql on another serverjarnold48 Jan
      • Re: Query mysql on another serverChris Boget8 Jan
  • Re: Query mysql on another serverKen Menzel7 Jan
  • Re: Query mysql on another serverFred Stiening7 Jan
RE: Query mysql on another serverPaul DuBois7 Jan
RE: Query mysql on another serverDave Christensen7 Jan
RE: Query mysql on another serverDave Christensen7 Jan
  • Re: Query mysql on another serverChris Boget7 Jan
  • Re: Query mysql on another serveriConnect \(Berlin\) Stefan Hinz8 Jan