List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 6 2003 2:31am
Subject:Re: Installation on NT using a drive <> C
View as plain text
At 9:52 +0800 1/6/03, oceanare pte ltd wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I do not know if this is a bug or feature.

One of the screens that the installer presents tells you that if you
want to use a different location than the default of the C: drive,
you'll need to put something like this in your my.cnf or my.ini file:

[mysqld]
basedir=path-to-installation-basedir

>We installed MySQL on a test machine with many partitions. The
>start of the service crashed with error 1067 if Windows was not
>installed on drive C.
>
>The only way to get it up and running was to place the file
>'my.cnf' in the root of drive C.

If you use the my.cnf file, yes, it must be C:\my.cnf.  The MySQL
distribution itself can be installed anywhere.

>It is no problem to use 'my.ini' in the Windows directory if
>Windows is installed on drive C. The installation of Windows on
>any other drive will force you to switch to 'C:\my.cnf' as the
>only way to configure MySQL.
>
>It would be helpfull to the users if the manual would state that
>MySQL only allows the use of 'my.ini' in the Windows directory if
>Windows is installed on drive C. The documentation uses drive C
>only as an example at the moment.
>
>Erich

Thread
Installation on NT using a drive <> Coceanare pte ltd6 Jan
  • Re: Installation on NT using a drive <> CPaul DuBois6 Jan