List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:SpamSucks86 Date:December 22 2002 1:56pm
Subject:RE: Return every Nth row in a result set
View as plain text
I really don't want to do this client side (I'd have to execute
approximately 10 queries for every page load just for this small task).
Selecting the entire table into a temp table to number the rows also
seems rather inefficient. I was reading in a book at Barnes and Noble
yesterday which said to use a query that looked something like this:

SELECT a.id FROM documents as a, documents as b WHERE a.id >= b.id GROUP
BY a.id HAVING MOD(a.id,:n);

I'm nearly positive that that isn't exactly what it said, but it was
something like that. If anyone can come up with a way to do this without
a temporary table and only one or two queries (using 3.x or 4.0) that'd
be great. Thanks for the help guys.

-Greg

Thread
Return every Nth row in a result setSpamSucks8622 Dec
  • RE: Return every Nth row in a result setJamesD22 Dec
  • 4.1 questions: subqueries which use dualric22 Dec
    • re: 4.1 questions: subqueries which use dualVictoria Reznichenko24 Dec
  • Re: Return every Nth row in a result setric22 Dec
    • RE: Return every Nth row in a result setSpamSucks8622 Dec
      • Re: Return every Nth row in a result setBenjamin Pflugmann22 Dec
        • RE: Return every Nth row in a result setSpamSucks8622 Dec
          • Re: Return every Nth row in a result setRichard Clarke22 Dec
          • Re: Return every Nth row in a result setric22 Dec
  • Re: 4.1 questions: subqueries which use dualRichard Clarke24 Dec
    • Re: 4.1 questions: subqueries which use dualDan Nelson24 Dec
  • Re: 4.1 questions: subqueries which use dualRichard Clarke24 Dec
    • Re: 4.1 questions: subqueries which use dualMark Matthews24 Dec