List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:December 20 2002 1:07pm
Subject:Re: INSERT INTO from a SELECT does not work?
View as plain text
At 9:30 +0100 12/20/02, Thierry Michalowski wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to run the following SQL statement on a table of my MySQL DB:
>
>insert into MYTABLE(ID, VALUE, SORTKEY)
>        select T.ID, 'to to', MAX(T.SORTKEY) + 1 from MYTABLE as T group by
>T.ID

You can't insert into the same table that you're selecting from.
This is in the manual.

You could select into a temp table, then select that into your
original table.
Thread
INSERT INTO from a SELECT does not work?Thierry Michalowski20 Dec
  • Re: INSERT INTO from a SELECT does not work?Paul DuBois20 Dec
  • re: INSERT INTO from a SELECT does not work?Egor Egorov20 Dec