List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 1 1999 3:37pm
Subject:Re: silient and very short auto-start
View as plain text
>Mysql works great after installing the freebsd3.1 binary package
>- if started manually.
>The problem is that it doesn't auto-start at boot.
>
>safe_mysqld seems to run without error.
>But it quits (without error) about 1 second later:
>Here is the log output:
>
>   mysqld started on  Thu Apr 1 11:38:05 GMT 1999
>   mysqld ended on  Thu Apr 1 11:38:06 GMT 1999
>
>Any ideas appreciated!

I don't know what the difference is between your FreeBSD 3.1 system
and mine, but it works for me.

I have this stuff at the end of my /etc/rc.local:

echo -n 'starting local daemons:'

# put your local stuff here

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
/usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld -l --user=junkyard&

I did have to make a change to /etc/rc.conf or mysqld would fail
to find the mysql shared libraries.  I added /usr/local/lib/mysql
to this line:

ldconfig_paths="$ldconfig_paths /usr/local/lib/mysql" # shared library
search paths

(the initial value of ldconfig_paths is set in /etc/rc, I'm just adding
the location of the mysql libraries to that value.)

The symptoms at system startup for me were that I'd get a message on the
console from ld.so (I think, it's been a while) about not being able to
resolve symbols when starting mysqld.  It took me a while to figure out
what to do, because adding /usr/local/lib/mysql to /etc/ld.conf didn't
make any difference.  (Doing that worked for staring mysqld while logged
in as root, but not at system startup time.)

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
silient and very short auto-startDavid Hanney1 Apr