List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 9 1999 6:26pm
Subject:Re: Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial version
View as plain text

sinisa> Olafur Jakobsson writes:
> [...]
sinisa> Hi!

sinisa> There are no major caveats and your data will be preserved.

sinisa> But, do carry the ammendments in mysql database, which means two more
sinisa> tables and two more fields in user table.

sinisa> These changes are documented, so you have only to abide by the rules !

>> Hi!
>>
>> On windows, you should start by taking a copy of the tables in the
>> 'mysql' database (default: C:\mysql\data\mysql).  These are the only
>> files that may be overwritten (they shouldn't)!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Monty

Christian> Hi Olafur

Christian> The mysql database doesn't get overwritten, but this is a problem, because
> the trial/shareware version doesn't provide the full privilege capabilities.
Christian> So you don't have table and column privileges.

Christian> It is better to dump the data out of the old mysql database and reinsert it
> later into the fresh created privilege tables.
Christian> The only drawback with this is:
Christian> You have to set all passwords again, because the length of the passwords did
> change too.

You are right about this.  I shall add a mysql_fix_privilege_tables
script to the next Windows version. The password in shareware version
is already in the long format, so this isn't a problem.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionOlafur Jakobsson25 Aug
  • Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionsinisa25 Aug
    • Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionMichael Widenius29 Aug
  • Re: Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionChristian Mack9 Sep
    • Re: Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionMichael Widenius9 Sep