List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dennis Allison Date:December 11 2002 5:38pm
Subject:Re: MySQL eats 99& CPU time problem help
View as plain text
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:12:33AM -0500, shawn xu wrote:
> > We have MySQL 3.23.53 running on Intel machine with OS
> > BSDI 4.3.
> >
> > The problem happened more often like this.
> >
> > MySQL eated up 99% cpu time which was told by running
> > "top". When this happened, I guess it still answer
> > queries, but it is too slow to answer, which results
> > in the customers complaining.
> >
> > What we have tried, none of them work except wiping
> > the disk and reinstalling everything.
>
> I don't know anything about BSDI.  If it's anything like FreeBSD,
> there are some bugs in its native thread library and some system calls
> that cause this to happen.
>
> http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000203.html#000203
>
> You might try disabling name resolution to see if that helps.

You probably want to close down the offending thread.  Assuming you
are not totally locked out, use
	mysqladmin processlist
to identify the offending thread, and then kill it
	mysqladmin kill <procesid>

It may be a threading bug, but more likely it's a query gone wrong.

Thread
MySQL eats 99& CPU time problem helpshawn xu11 Dec
  • Re: MySQL eats 99& CPU time problem helpJeremy Zawodny11 Dec
  • Re: MySQL eats 99& CPU time problem helped11 Dec
  • Re: MySQL eats 99& CPU time problem helpKen Menzel13 Dec
Re: MySQL eats 99& CPU time problem helpDennis Allison11 Dec