List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:September 9 1999 3:45pm
Subject:Re: Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial version
View as plain text
Michael Widenius wrote:

> sinisa> Olafur Jakobsson writes:
> >> I am about to install the commercial version over the shareware
> >> version.of mySQL on winNT. Any caveats I need to know? Does the new
> >> version preserve/include the /data/ directory so there will be no
> >> downtime or must I do some export/import routine?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Olafur
> >>

> sinisa> Hi!
>
> sinisa> There are no major caveats and your data will be preserved.
>
> sinisa> But, do carry the ammendments in mysql database, which means two more
> sinisa> tables and two more fields in user table.
>
> sinisa> These changes are documented, so you have only to abide by the rules !
>
> Hi!
>
> On windows, you should start by taking a copy of the tables in the
> 'mysql' database (default: C:\mysql\data\mysql).  These are the only
> files that may be overwritten (they shouldn't)!
>
> Regards,
> Monty

Hi Olafur

The mysql database doesn't get overwritten, but this is a problem, because the
trial/shareware version doesn't provide the full privilege capabilities.
So you don't have table and column privileges.

It is better to dump the data out of the old mysql database and reinsert it later into the
fresh created privilege tables.
The only drawback with this is:
You have to set all passwords again, because the length of the passwords did change too.

Tschau
Christian

PS: Sorry for the late answer, I was really busy.

Thread
Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionOlafur Jakobsson25 Aug
  • Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionsinisa25 Aug
    • Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionMichael Widenius29 Aug
  • Re: Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionChristian Mack9 Sep
    • Re: Upgrade winNT from shareware to commercial versionMichael Widenius9 Sep