List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:September 9 1999 3:20pm
Subject:Re: Copying Tables
View as plain text
Curtis Maurand wrote:

> Is there a way to copy a table to a new table?  I have a booking system
> that requires certain basic columns but each type of booking has its own
> set of unique columns.  Would it be better to have the common
> information in one table and the unique fields in separate tables? or
> should I just use one huge flat table?
>
> Curtis

Hi Curtis

In 3.23.3 you can CREATE a table with an SELECT statement.
In 3.21.xx and 3.22.xx you have to CREATE each table by hand and copy data via the "INSERT
INTO ... SELECT ..."-syntax.

The correct answer to your design question is:
It depends on the overall amount of data, how  dynamic this data is, which dependencies
exist to other tables and which SQL queries you want to perform on it.

Big and dynamic data should be splitted over multiple tables.
But it is simpler to use one table alone.

So no suggestion here.

Tschau
Christian

PS: Sorry for the late answer, I was really busy.

Thread
Copying TablesCurtis Maurand25 Aug
  • Re: Copying TablesChristian Mack9 Sep