List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brent Baisley Date:December 9 2002 4:08pm
Subject:Re: FULLTEXT
View as plain text
I'm an ex-Lasso developer, using PHP now. More of a pricing issue than
anything else.

1) Are you trying to combine 15 columns together into one full text
index? It sounds like you are trying to setup freeform searching on
structured data. If you really need to do this you might want to think
about embedding data "structure" into your TEXT field. Make sure you use
something that you can parse out easily for display. Then you would have
one field that stores most of your data that can allow searching for a
word anywhere or in a specific context.
For instance, if you store your data with "labels" you can search your
full text index with those labels:
SELECT * FROM Contacts WHERE MATCH(data) AGAINST ('"::fname::Steffan"')
or without to find the text string anywhere
SELECT * FROM Contacts WHERE MATCH(data) AGAINST ('Steffan')

2) The default is to not index 3 or less letter words, which is already
what you desire. But you can recompile to change it to what you want.
I'm pretty in v4 you don't have to recompile MySQL, just rebuild you

3) I don't this would be desirable.

Perhaps if you described what you are trying to accomplish we could come
up with an alternative way of going about it. Are you trying to
replicate the way FileMaker handles indexes where all indexes are full
text and you can have just about as many (255?) as you want? Don't
forget about the "HAVING" option of a SQL query which doesn't use
indexes, but is probably almost as fast as FileMaker for large text
field searches.

--
Brent Baisley
Systems Architect