List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:December 8 2002 5:55am
Subject:Re: MySQL user privilages
View as plain text
At 21:39 -0800 12/7/02, Ryan McDougall wrote:
>Hey everyone,
>
>Ok if I issue this command:
>
>mysql> grant select,insert,update,delete,create,drop
>-> on *.* to someusr@"%" identified by 'passwrd';
>
>I already know that this statement creates the user someusr w/
>password=passwrd
>and it can connect from anywhere. What I don't know: Can this user now mess up
>the privilage tables? Can this user mess with other users DBs and tables?

Sure.  By using ON *.*, you've granted global privileges.  They apply to
all databases -- which includes the mysql database that contains the
grant tables.

>I want to create a normal user for me that can create my own DBs and delete
>them if I want (it my stuff anyway ) but I don't want me to be able to see or
>do anything to anybody elses stuff. Would I then have to run this command???
>
>mysql> grant select,insert,update,delete,create,drop
>-> on somedb.* to someusr@"%" identified by 'passwrd';
>
>And create this test DB so that this user can have initial privilages on some
>DB then that user will be ale to create their own DBs at will?? I just don't
>get the whole user aspect of MySQL... I want it to be like a normal *nix user
>create their own crap and delete it if they want... but don't touch whats not
>theirs! Is this accomplished with either of those commands, if so
>which one, if
>not how do I do that?
>
>PLEASE I'M GOING CRAZY trying to figure this out... my book doesn't say
>anything about what EXACTLY a user can/can't touch with which privilages

Thread
MySQL user privilagesRyan McDougall8 Dec
  • Re: MySQL user privilagesPaul DuBois8 Dec
  • Re: MySQL user privilagesiConnect \(Berlin\) Stefan Hinz8 Dec
    • Re: MySQL user privilagesRyan McDougall8 Dec
      • Re: MySQL user privilagesPaul DuBois8 Dec
        • Re: MySQL user privilagesRyan McDougall12 Dec
          • re: Re: MySQL user privilagesVictoria Reznichenko12 Dec