List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael She Date:December 5 2002 8:36pm
Subject:Re: Questions Compressed Tables & Indexs
View as plain text
Hi all,

I'm planning to run a remote DB across the internet for a web application
and I would like to minimize retrival times and bandwidth.

I have a couple of questions about MyISAM compressed Tables:

1. Is it slower to retrieve from a compressed table, or actually faster
since data is packed?
2. Is there an increase in CPU overhead? Is it significant?
3. Is the data sent to the client compressed or decompressed?

As for indicies is it better to create a single index per column, or an
index for a set of columns. For example, if I go: SELECT * FROM SOMETABLE
WHERE A = X and B = Y. Is it better to create a X AND Y index, or two
separate indicies?

Thanks!

sql, query, mysql, stuff to avoid the spam filter...
--
Michael She  : michael.she@stripped
Mobile       : (519) 589-7309

Thread
Re: Questions Compressed Tables & IndexsMichael She5 Dec
  • Re: Questions Compressed Tables & IndexsDan Nelson5 Dec
    • Re: Questions Compressed Tables & IndexsMichael T. Babcock6 Dec
  • Re: Questions Compressed Tables & IndexsSteve Yates6 Dec