List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Julia Simmons Date:December 3 2002 8:50pm
Subject:re: change the data directory
View as plain text
> Julia,
> Tuesday, December 03, 2002, 2:24:49 AM, you wrote:
>
> JS> I have just installed the mysql binary on solaris 8.
> JS> I would like have the data go to a different directory than
> /local/mysql/data.
> JS> How do I get it to do that?
>
> JS> I tried starting it with the --datadir set, but that didn't work.
> JS> I tried setting datadir in the /etc/my.cnf file, but that didn't work.
> JS> I tried making /local/mysql/data a softlink to a different place, but
> JS> that didn't work.
> JS> I tried making /local/mysql/data/mysql a softlink to a different place, but
> JS> that didn't work.
>
> What exactly doesn't work? Could you be more detailed?

Here's more detail:

I shutdown and added /etc/my.cnf file:

kaaawa# more /etc/my.cnf
[mysql]
datadir = /db_data/mysql_data

hide the installed data directory:
kaaawa# mv data data.orig

started up again:

kaaawa# bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
[1] 963
kaaawa# The file /usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld doesn't exist or is not executable
Please do a cd to the mysql installation directory and restart
this script from there as follows:
./bin/safe_mysqld.

[1]    Exit 1               bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql
kaaawa#

Next I shutdown and got rid of /etc/my.cnf
I made /local/mysql/mysql-3.23.51/data a link to /db_data/mysql_data
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         19 Dec  3 10:09 data -> /db_data/mysql_data

Try to start up:

kaaawa# bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
[1] 826
kaaawa# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /local/mysql/mysql-3.23.51/data
021203 10:10:40  mysqld ended

Try making the softlink from /local/mysql/mysql-3.23.51/data/mysql to
/db_data/mysql_data and that wouldn't start either:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         25 Dec  3 10:17 mysql ->
/db_data/mysql_data/mysql

kaaawa# bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
[1] 896
kaaawa# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /local/mysql/mysql-3.23.51/data
021203 10:17:40  mysqld ended

Thanks for your help!

Julia

Thread
change the data directoryJulia Simmons3 Dec
  • re: change the data directoryEgor Egorov3 Dec
re: change the data directoryJulia Simmons3 Dec
  • re: re: change the data directoryEgor Egorov4 Dec