List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:September 8 1999 5:25pm
Subject:Re: newbie question about local /etc/hosts file
View as plain text
Dick Griffin wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'll be here all day tinkering with this new database task, and I've already begun to
> stub my toe on the edges of my
> expertise.  Can someone help me out here please.
>
> I'm running FBSD 3.2, here, and the MySQL version is 3.22.16a-gamma
>
> I've installed MySQL, and am getting the following error when I try to 'create a
> database'
>
> "connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: Access denied for user: 'dick@localhost' <Using password: YES>"
>
> So (of course I read the MySQL book, and the man page for 'hosts', and here's where
> I'm confused)
>
> MySQL says I need an entry in my /etc/hosts file like this:
>
> "127.0.0.1      localhost"
>
> in my /etc/hosts file I have:
>
> "127.0.0.1      local.dgriffin.org localhost"
>
> The quotes are always mine, and not included in any entries I use with my machine or
> the MySQL server.
>
> So, the question is, should I change my /etc/hosts file to comply with what MySQL is
> looking for?  And if I do, what will
> that do to the rest of the system's use of the /etc/hosts file where it might expect
> to see "local.dgriffin.org localhost",
> or is my /etc/hosts file wrong from the get go?
>
> Thanks to anyone who helps with this.
>
> Dick Griffin

Hi Dick

I would just turn it round:
"127.0.0.1        localhost local.dgriffin.org"

This should work.
If not, you have another problem with your mysql priviledges.

But if you don't want to do this, you also can use "local.dgriffin.org" in your mysql
priviledge tables.

Tschau
Christian

PS: Sorry for the late answer, I was really busy.

Thread
newbie question about local /etc/hosts fileDick Griffin18 Aug
  • Re: newbie question about local /etc/hosts fileChristian Mack8 Sep