List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:November 21 2002 11:22pm
Subject:Re: irrelevant multi-column index yields incredible speedup!
View as plain text
In the last episode (Nov 21), johnt@stripped said:
> Adding an irrelevant second column to an index instead of just a
> single column index gives an incredible speedup and I don't know why!

If you then remove the index, is it still fast?  Maybe you are just
seeing the results of mysql rebuilding the state key.  When you modify
an index, I believe mysql ends up rebuilding all indexes on that table.
"optimize table mytable" would probably have given you the same speed
boost.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped