List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:September 8 1999 2:00pm
Subject:Re: Compiling error on Slackware 4.0
View as plain text
Blain Nelson wrote:

<snip>
 For now, my problem is trying to get the
> $EDITOR variable set to pico (yeah, elvis will do everything but wash my
> dishes, but I'm not in the mood to learn modal editing at this
> juncture), and as God is my witness, a simple "setenv $EDITOR=pico"
> seems to be beyond the ability of what I've got going here.

It is not the $EDITOR variable, but the EDITOR variable.
$EDITOR is the value of the EDITOR variable.
cshell:
setenv EDITOR pico

ksh,bash:
export EDITOR=pico

now check it by entering
echo $EDITOR

the shell should echo "pico" ( quotes are mine ).
Thread
Compiling error on Slackware 4.0Blain Nelson6 Sep
  • Re: Compiling error on Slackware 4.0sinisa6 Sep
  • Re: Compiling error on Slackware 4.0Blain Nelson8 Sep
  • Re: Compiling error on Slackware 4.0Gerald Clark8 Sep