List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 8 1999 12:43pm
Subject:Re: DBI::quote problem
View as plain text

Jules> Joshua Chamas wrote:

>> Jules Bean wrote:
>> >
>> > *blink*
>> >
>> > I didn't think you could prepare *any* queries with mysql.  I thought
>> > that DBI::prepare was basically a no-op when using the Mysql driver
>> > (well, not quite - it stores the string locally, and does the ?
>>
>> Oops... because I couldn't get the DBD::mysql driver to compile
>> for my perl on WinNT, I have been using DBD::ODBC through MyODBC,
>> so the 30+% prepare_cache'ing speedup that I am seeing might
>> be ODBC related, not DBD::mysql.  If this is the case that its
>> an ODBC thing, surely DBD::mysql would be able to take advantage
>> of the same caching that ODBC could if coded the right way ?!

Jules> That could well be it.  I could believe that ODBC does some internal
Jules> query pre-compiling.

The time difference may be that when you prepare the query there will
be fewer call through the ODBC manager and this will speed up some
things.  Another issue is that MyODBC only have to parse the query
once to check for parameters when you use prepared statements.

If you connect directly to MySQL, the time differences should be much smaller

Regards,
Monty
Thread
DBI::quote problemEugene Miretskiy8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemJoshua Chamas8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemEugene Miretskiy8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemJoshua Chamas8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemEugene Miretskiy8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemJoshua Chamas8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemJules Bean8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemJoshua Chamas8 Sep
    • Re: DBI::quote problemPaul DuBois8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemJoshua Chamas8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemJoshua Chamas8 Sep
  • Re: DBI::quote problemJules Bean8 Sep
    • Re: DBI::quote problemMichael Widenius8 Sep
  • Re: mySQL... sitting at the FreeBSD2 command prompt unsure of what to do...Jules Bean8 Sep
Re: DBI::quote problemJoshua Chamas8 Sep