List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 8 1999 9:09am
Subject:Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2
View as plain text
>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Moon <brian@stripped> writes:

Brian> Can you point me to some ANSI documentation  on this.  It jsut seems strange
Brian> that in 10 years of programming this is the first time I have encountered a
Brian> dbms that does this.  And, this one did not do it until now.

Brian> Brian Moon
Brian> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian> Phorum Dev Team - http://www.phorum.org
Brian> Making better forums with PHP
Brian> -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!

The MySQL user pointed that pointed this out for me was referring to a
explicit statement in 'SQL for dummies' that described this
behaveour.  (Sorry about the title, but this is the only book where I
have found a description of the behaveour of ORDER BY and DESC)

I tried to confirm this from C.J.Date's book 'The SQL standard' and from
'Using SQL' but neither of these touched the topic of ORDER BY with
more than 1 elements where DESC is first.

I will add a test in crash-me so that we can check how other databases
does this!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Brian Moon5 Sep
  • Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Sasha Pachev6 Sep
  • Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Brian Moon7 Sep
    • Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Michael Widenius8 Sep
  • Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Brian Moon8 Sep
    • Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Michael Widenius8 Sep
      • Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Peter Strömberg8 Sep
        • Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Michael Widenius8 Sep
    • Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Jules Bean8 Sep
      • Re: BUG: default order by error in 3.23.2Michael Widenius8 Sep