List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy Zawodny Date:November 18 2002 9:10pm
Subject:Re: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similar
View as plain text
On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 07:12:27AM +1100, Dean Harding wrote:
> Actually, it's a slightly different problem - a very uneven distribution
> of values on a column, not a small number of possible values like a
> bitmap index is for.

Exactly.

> In my opinion, this is a pretty useless feature, I mean the whole
> *point* of the optimizer is to see things like that and do a full table
> scan when it's going to be faster.

Well...

> I guess I can see the point if the row is only *added* to the index if
> it matches the WHERE clause.  That'd speed up the index management as
> well.

Bingo.  That's it.  Speed up, save space, save CPU, etc.

Jeremy
<Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 3.23.51: up 104 days, processed 2,262,358,069 queries (250/sec. avg)
Thread
feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarNathan Neulinger15 Nov
  • re: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarEgor Egorov18 Nov
    • Re: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarJeremy Zawodny18 Nov
Re: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarDaniel Koch18 Nov
  • RE: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarDean Harding18 Nov
    • Re: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarJeremy Zawodny18 Nov
RE: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarNathan Neulinger18 Nov
  • Re: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarMichael T. Babcock18 Nov
    • Re: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarDaniel Koch19 Nov
      • Re: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarBenjamin Pflugmann19 Nov
        • Re: feature suggestion - indexes with "where" clause or similarDan Nelson19 Nov