List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eric Berg Date:March 31 1999 10:37pm
Subject:Re: How to UPDATE from field in other table
View as plain text
Christian,

Replace will kill the rest of the row, only assigning values where you
specify (or to *).  Not what I want here.

I'm having no luck with the UPDATE one table from another approach, either.
I think I'm going to create a file of update statements based on the source
table.  Actually, I've done it already with a Perl script, but I wanted to do
it within the SQL server.  Ah, well.

The one problem that I have is that I'd like to see the changes even for rows
where the replacement/update value is the same as the current value.

-Eric.

Christian Mack: [Wednesday 31-March]:

> Eric Berg wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to update a field in tableA to a value in a field in tableB based
> > on a common key.  I get "ERROR 1109: Unknown table 'tableB' in field list"
> > errors each time.
> >
> > update tableA
> > set somefield=tableB.otherfield
> > where tableA.keyfield=tableB.keyfield;
> >
> > How do I work around this?
> >
> > -Eric.
>
> Hi Eric
>
> The above is illegal SQL, because UPDATE uses only one table.
>
> Try the REPLACE ... SELECT ... syntax.
>
> Tschau
> Christian

Thread
How to UPDATE from field in other tableEric Berg31 Mar
  • Re: How to UPDATE from field in other tableChristian Mack31 Mar
    • Re: How to UPDATE from field in other tableEric Berg1 Apr
  • Re: How to UPDATE from field in other tableSasha Pachev1 Apr
    • Re: How to UPDATE from field in other tableEric Berg1 Apr
Re: How to UPDATE from field in other tableEric Berg1 Apr
  • Re: How to UPDATE from field in other tableThimble Smith1 Apr