List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 13 2002 5:36pm
Subject:Re: Decrypt MYSQL Password
View as plain text
At 23:27 -0800 11/12/02, Ben C. wrote:
>I am using the MySQL password() function for the my passwords on the user
>names.  How do I decrypt the password in PHP to send it in an e-mail.  I am
>making a forgot your password page and want to have the user enter their
>e-mail and have the password sent to them.
>
>Please help!

It's always a good idea to read the manual before assuming that a function
behaves in a certain way.  In this case, what you ask is impossible.
The manual makes it clear that PASSWORD() encryption is non-reversable:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Miscellaneous_functions.html

Alternatives:

ENCODE()/DECODE()
AES_ENCRYPT()/AES_DECRYPT()
DES_ENCRYPT()/DES_DECRYPT()
Thread
Decrypt MYSQL PasswordBen C.13 Nov
  • Re: Decrypt MYSQL PasswordThe Mage Merlin13 Nov
  • Re: Decrypt MYSQL PasswordMichael T. Babcock13 Nov
  • Re: Decrypt MYSQL PasswordPaul DuBois13 Nov
  • re: Decrypt MYSQL PasswordEgor Egorov13 Nov
AW: Decrypt MYSQL PasswordWolfgang Moestl13 Nov
Re: Decrypt MYSQL PasswordBen C .13 Nov
  • Re: Decrypt MYSQL PasswordThe Mage Merlin13 Nov
  • Re: Decrypt MYSQL PasswordGelu Gogancea13 Nov
AW: Decrypt MYSQL Passwordhans huber13 Nov