List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Ragan Date:November 12 2002 2:37am
Subject:Re: Problems with simple(?) query
View as plain text
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to write what I am sure should be a simple query, but just can't get it to
>
> work!
>
> If I create a table called foo like this:
> create table foo ( id1 int(11) , id2(int 11) );
>
> populate it with data and then try:
>
> SELECT * FROM foo WHERE id2=1 AND id2=2 (for example),
>
> I just get an empty set returned. An explain on the query gives an 'Impossible
> WHERE'
> message.
>
> Both id1 and id2 can have duplicate values in them, though the same combination of
> id1 and id2 cannot appear in the data (ie: id1=1, id2=1 ; id1=1, id2=2 is possible,
> id1=1, id2=1 ; id1=1, id2=1 is not possible), and it is possible that the values I
> search for will not be in the table at all.
>
> All I really want is to get the value for id1 where there are corresponding records
> which match all of my search parameters for id2.
>
> Anyone got any ideas how to manage this? It's beginning to drive me mad!
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

to give the man a fish, or to teach him to fish.

if you have a windows box for a front end,
download corereader from http://corereader.com

it connects to any data source, and it likes
mysql a lot.  it does quick point and click
queries so you can, hopefully, find for yourself
the logic errors such as has been pointed out in
your query.

have fun.

--
        John Ragan
        john@stripped

Thread
Problems with simple(?) queryJames Dyer11 Nov
Re: Problems with simple(?) queryDan Nelson11 Nov
RE: Problems with simple(?) queryPeter Grigor11 Nov
Re: Problems with simple(?) queryKeith C. Ivey11 Nov
  • Re: Problems with simple(?) queryMichael T. Babcock11 Nov
Re: Problems with simple(?) queryJohn Ragan12 Nov
  • How stable is MySQL 4.x vs 3.23.x?Jaime Teng12 Nov
    • Re: How stable is MySQL 4.x vs 3.23.x?Jeremy Zawodny12 Nov
  • RE: Problems with simple(?) queryArthur Fuller18 Nov
RE: How stable is MySQL 4.x vs 3.23.x?Kelly W [PCS] Black12 Nov