List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Morton Date:November 11 2002 12:03pm
Subject:re[2]: MySql 4.1 Sub Selects
View as plain text
Hi

according to this link... 4.1 will have stored procedures

http://www.mysql.com/products/mysql-4.0/index.html

Rich

 >>  With the efficiency comment below, I was using the strategy that I'd
 >>  prefer
 >>  to wait for 4.1's impending (?) release rather than rewrite SQL in a
 >>  workaround way. It's a tradeoff based on our specific project and relating
 >>  to time factors, etc, and the amount of SQL I'd have to rewrite.

 >>  Yes i'm sure the hurdle could be overcome but I'd rather hold back on
 >>  MySql
 >>  support until subselect functionality is ready.

 >>  Typically, database vendors seem to recommend using EXISTS because the
 >>  query
 >>  returns on finding the first row that meets whatever the subselect
 >>  criteria
 >>  is.

 >>  Do those people working on 4.1 anticipate the performance of the MySql sub
 >>  select functionality to be better than an equivalent query written as a
 >>  join? I guess any answer to this should also include consideration of
 >>  sometimes putting DISTINCT in the select statement.

 >>  Thanks a lot,
 >>  Greg.

Richard Morton
Quantum Communications
+44 (0) 7899 750400

richard.morton@stripped
www.quantum-comms.com

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
Quantum Communications and is intended for the recipient(s) named above only.
If received in error please notify the sender and destroy the original
message and attachments. Emails may be monitored or recorded. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the e-mail and/or any
attachment is virus free. The views expressed by the author may not reflect
the views of Quantum Communications Limited.

MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsGreg Matthews10 Nov
  • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsJeremy Zawodny10 Nov
  • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsGreg Matthews10 Nov
    • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsJeremy Zawodny10 Nov
  • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsJocelyn Fournier10 Nov
  • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsGreg Matthews10 Nov
    • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsJeremy Zawodny10 Nov
  • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsHarald Fuchs10 Nov
  • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsGreg Matthews10 Nov
  • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsMichael T. Babcock11 Nov
  • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsGreg Matthews11 Nov
RE: MySql 4.1 Sub Selectsdaniel11 Nov
  • re: RE: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsVictoria Reznichenko11 Nov
    • RE: RE: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsDan Rossi11 Nov
      • Re: RE: MySql 4.1 Sub Selects and not stored proceduresGreg Matthews11 Nov
        • RE: RE: MySql 4.1 Sub Selects and not stored proceduresArthur Fuller11 Nov
          • Re: RE: MySql 4.1 Sub Selects and not stored proceduresGreg Matthews11 Nov
        • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub Selects and not stored proceduresDan Nelson11 Nov
        • Re: RE: MySql 4.1 Sub Selects and not stored proceduresJohn Ragan11 Nov
      • Re: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsMichael T. Babcock11 Nov
re[2]: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsRichard Morton11 Nov
  • Re: re[2]: MySql 4.1 Sub SelectsLenz Grimmer11 Nov