List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:November 10 2002 11:51pm
Subject:Re: PHP bias (Way OT)
View as plain text
>From: Van <vanboers@stripped>
>
>I _realize_ Perl is fast, and powerful...  But, it's
>ugly...
>
>In a perfect world, everyone would use
>C/C++...

Boy, talk about trolling!

My vote for the most "beautiful" language is Smalltalk, followed by Objective C. Having
experienced the "real thing" in OOP, I find all hybrids like C++ comparatively "ugly."

The purity of Smalltalk's object model, combined with the elegance and readability of
infix notation and extremely simple precedence rules make well-written Smalltalk read
like a book.

One theory is that the language that one is first extensively exposed to becomes one's
religious favorite. So I don't put a lot of faith in various "mine is better" arguments,
which almost always are simply "what I'm most familiar with is better" arguments.

But on the general theme that all things have advantages and disadvantages, I still think
Smalltalk is the most beautiful language -- that's a pretty limited context within which
to call something "better" or "worse," but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :-)

And this has nothing to do with SQL.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>
        • Re: PHP biasR. Hannes Niedner10 Nov
        • Re: PHP biasR. Hannes Niedner10 Nov
      • Re: PHP biasOctavian Rasnita10 Nov
      • Re: PHP bias (Way OT)Van10 Nov
        • RE: PHP bias (Way OT)Alan McDonald10 Nov
          • Re: PHP bias (Way OT)Van10 Nov
            • RE: PHP bias (Way OT)Dan Rossi10 Nov
          • RE: PHP bias (Way OT)Dan Rossi10 Nov
  • Re: PHP biasJeremy Zawodny10 Nov
  • Re: PHP biasGeorg Richter10 Nov
    • Re: PHP bias Stop feeding the trollR. Hannes Niedner10 Nov
    • Re: PHP biasPhil Straw10 Nov
  • Re: PHP biasVan10 Nov
Re: PHP bias (Way OT)Jan Steinman11 Nov