List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 10 2002 7:04am
Subject:Re: PHP bias
View as plain text
>  > > I am bothers me.
>>  > It bothers me that that the MySQL people have a bias towards PHP.
>>  > PHP is an inferior language. Deal with perl instead.
>>  >
>>  > ............................
>>  > Robert
>>
>>  Ouch.....Death to all fanatics!!!
>>
>>  Do you have any question or are you just boiling?
>
>It's just that MySQL and PHP integrate together so well. The authors of
>PHP have gone to great lengths to create extensive interfaces to a wide
>range of databases, not just MySQL. perl doesn't have anything like as
>much database support, which is why PHP has become popular in the web
>community.

I agree.  It's really a drag that you can't use databases very well from
within Perl very easily.  I wish that someone would invent a database
inferface for Perl.  And it'd be really cool if they'd do it in such
a way that the general interface was portable, so that you could plug
in drivers for particular database engines like MySQL or PostgreSQL or
Oracle or Informix or even flat-file formats like CSV.  And then it'd
be neat if someone would invent Perl modules to that would use this
database interface so that you could do things like transfer data in
and out of databases to send information to and from entities like
XML documents or Excel spreadsheets.

Man!  The more I think about it, the more of a bummer it is that
you just can't do this stuff from Perl.
Thread
PHP biasRobert Macwange10 Nov
  • Re: PHP biasR. Hannes Niedner10 Nov
    • RE: PHP biasJohn Meyer10 Nov
    • Re: PHP biasandy thomas10 Nov
      • Re: PHP biasJeremy Zawodny10 Nov
      • Re: PHP biasPaul DuBois10 Nov
        • Re: PHP biasR. Hannes Niedner10 Nov
        • Re: PHP biasR. Hannes Niedner10 Nov
      • Re: PHP biasOctavian Rasnita10 Nov
      • Re: PHP bias (Way OT)Van10 Nov
        • RE: PHP bias (Way OT)Alan McDonald10 Nov
          • Re: PHP bias (Way OT)Van10 Nov
            • RE: PHP bias (Way OT)Dan Rossi10 Nov
          • RE: PHP bias (Way OT)Dan Rossi10 Nov
  • Re: PHP biasJeremy Zawodny10 Nov
  • Re: PHP biasGeorg Richter10 Nov
    • Re: PHP bias Stop feeding the trollR. Hannes Niedner10 Nov
    • Re: PHP biasPhil Straw10 Nov
  • Re: PHP biasVan10 Nov
Re: PHP bias (Way OT)Jan Steinman11 Nov