List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Matthews Date:November 10 2002 3:24am
Subject:Re: JDBC Connection Pooling Not Quite Right?
View as plain text
Rick Mann wrote:

> sql, query ... just to make the filter happy.
>
> on 11/8/02 2:30 AM, Alec.Cawley@stripped at Alec.Cawley@stripped
> wrote:
>

> >You are missing something, I am afraid. To quite Sun's Javadoc for the
> >PooledConnection class
>

> Thank you so much for the quick reply.
>
> Now I understand why the implementation of pooled connections seemed
> so lame
> (why on earth did JDBC client code need to get a different kind of
> connection?).
>
> Strikes me that it's just as ridiculous that I have to implement the
> pooling
> scheme. It would have made more sense to provide a reasonable pooling
> scheme
> and allowed me to add my own, if I so desired.

Not in Sun's eyes. They figure (rightly or wrongly) that no one runs
server-side Java outside of some application server. So they don't spend
time specifying a 'standard' connection pool, because that's 'vendor'
specific...instead they specify a contract between a JDBC driver and an
application server to provide connection pooling.

On the other hand, you don't need to re-invent the wheel either. There
is a lot of open source connection pooling code out there. The one I'm
currently recommending (as it sees the most current development) is DBCP
from the Apache Jakarta Commons project:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp.html

> In any event, thank you. Now I know how to fix the problem!
>

> >The Java list - java@stripped - would probaby be more appropriate
> >than the general list, but otherwise this is the right place.
>

> Perhaps that should be mentioned on the Connector/J pages...I had no idea
> such a list existed. Thanks!

I'll forward the request to our web team. It is mentioned at the bottom
of the README for the driver, however :)

	-Mark
--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mmma

    /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /  Mark Matthews <mark@stripped>
   / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ MySQL AB, Full-Time Developer - JDBC/Java
  /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ Flossmoor (Chicago), IL USA
         <___/ www.mysql.com

Thread
JDBC Connection Pooling Not Quite Right?Rick Mann8 Nov
Re: JDBC Connection Pooling Not Quite Right?Alec.Cawley8 Nov
Re: JDBC Connection Pooling Not Quite Right?Rick Mann9 Nov
  • Re: JDBC Connection Pooling Not Quite Right?Mark Matthews10 Nov