List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 6 2002 11:51pm
Subject:Re: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.
View as plain text
At 11:09 -0800 11/6/02, Steven Webb wrote:
>I'm using libmysqld so I can have an "embedded" mysql
>server in my application.  It helps with performance
>because there is not socket communication and all I/O
>is done from the program directly to the files.
>Anyway, I have the need to also connect to a remote
>database in the same application.  My code works fine
>with the local "embedded" mysql server, I can connect
>to the local server, create a database and manipulate
>the data, but when I try to connect to a remote
>database, it fails.  The C function that I'm using is
>"mysql_real_connect".  The "mysql_connect" that you're
>talking about is just a wrapper function that I wrote.
>  The mysql_real_connect() is down further in the code.
>
>Did you get my code?  I sent it to the list, but the
>list bounced it because the list didn't allow
>attachments.
>
>Anyway, According to the docs for the mysqld library
>(http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Clients.html#libmysqld)
>There is nothing that says that the mysql_real_connect
>should work any differently than the one in the normal
>library.

Nothing there, perhaps.  But the general description of the
embedded server points out that it does no networking.
You cannot use an embedded app to connect to remote servers,
nor can external clients connect to the embedded server.
(This is one reason the manual says embedded servers can't
be used in replication.)

>   So, I'm thinking that either the
>documentation is incorrect (mysql_real_connect
>*DOESN'T* include any socket-level capability in the
>mysqld lib like it does in the normal library) or I'm
>just doing something wrong when I try to connect to a
>remote database with mysql_real_connect.  The man page
>for mysql_real_connect is here:
>http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Clients.html#mysql_real_connect
>
>- Steve

Thread
using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Steven Webb28 Oct
  • Re: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Steven Webb5 Nov
RE: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Kelly W [PCS] Black5 Nov
  • RE: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Steven Webb5 Nov
RE: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Kelly W [PCS] Black5 Nov
  • RE: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Steven Webb5 Nov
RE: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Luc Foisy6 Nov
  • RE: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Steven Webb6 Nov
Re: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Steven Webb6 Nov
  • Re: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Paul DuBois7 Nov
    • Re: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Steven Webb7 Nov
      • Re: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Paul DuBois7 Nov
  • Re: using libmysqld - can't connect to remote DB as client.Bernhard Döbler7 Nov
    • why is this slow?Jaime Teng11 Nov
      • Re: why is this slow?Thomas Seifert11 Nov
        • Re: why is this slow?Jaime Teng12 Nov
          • Re: why is this slow?Thomas Seifert12 Nov
          • Re: why is this slow?Benjamin Pflugmann12 Nov